Over the last month in Blackpool, our incredible volunteers have worked so hard and have achieved so much!
Here’s a rundown of the month:
• Transformed 6 gardens all around Blackpool, including maintaining 6 community gardens that we take responsibility for in partnership with Better Start and Blackpool Council too.
• Been filmed again and will feature in a short promo film by Great Places Housing as we support their ‘More Positive Together’ team who refer volunteers to us.
• Our ROC Garden Van is now fitted with a tow bar, and we have also been awarded a charity permit and waste carriers license to access Blackpool’s Waste and Recycling center for free!
• James ran the Blackpool Marathon (26.2 miles) in 4hrs 22mins! He has raised £805 so far and reaching to hit a total of £1,000 before the end of this month. This sponsorship will go towards the running costs of the project and will enable it to cover all its core costs for the year that support the volunteers directly.
You can give here: www.justgiving.com/runningforROC2019
• The ROC Garden Services Team has grown and expanded at a rapid rate! This month our Garden Services team have had more requests than ever before, with people calling and contacting through Facebook to ask for regular maintenance and other big jobs doing their garden. The Garden Services team is currently made up on 3 volunteers that we have created part-time employment for through garden work that local residents pay for. This work helps us to create employment and real sustainability for our volunteer programme too with all proceeds going straight back into the running and development of ROC Garden in Blackpool.
• In this coming month, we will be increasing the number of days for one of our ROC Garden Services team, as well as looking to find another one or two gardeners who could join as well!
• In April/May we have been developing a wonderful Forest Schools Area for Boundary Primary School in Blackpool. We have had the privilege of turning open green space into a forest school full of wonderful trees, plants, and even a fire circle! Work will be completed within the next couple of weeks ready for the children to enjoy.
As always, so much happening and more to come!