What is ROC Restore
ROC Restore is a form of Restorative Justice (RJ) undertaken by community members in facilitated meetings. The aim is to bring together victims and perpetrators of low level crime, anti-social behaviour and nuisance in a meeting where trained volunteers use restorative or reparative approaches to agree on a course of action for those involved. Providing the perpetrator admits liability and both consent to coming together, a meeting or forum is held to consider the issues relating to the incident.
A ROC Restore meeting is made up of members of the local community as well as representatives of churches, faith groups and other professionals.
How it works:
- At the meeting all participants are given the opportunity to speak through structured discussion and express their feelings without interruption.
- Each party can bring a supporter with them.
- A date, time and venue for the RJ meeting will be decided on.
- Everyone involved must voluntarily agree to take part.
- The participants come to an agreement about the best way to repair the harm.
- At the conclusion of the meeting, those involved sign a Community Restorative Agreement.
- The Project coordinator will follow up the meeting with a phone call to ask if the agreement has been upheld.
The person harmed has the opportunity to:
- Ask questions and get answers
- Say how they feel about what happened
- Receive an apology and an offer of amends for the harm done
The person responsible has the opportunity to:
- Understand how people have been affected by the crime
- Take personal responsibility for the harm caused
- Take steps to address the harm caused
- Make positive changes so as not to repeat the crime.
What They Say
I had a fair chance to speak and be listened to; I feel this is a big step forward.
Really good way of going about it, stops it “kicking off” because everyone had their say in a controlled manner. The staff were really friendly and the whole process was handled brilliantly.
I went into the process not expecting much. However, now I have had the meeting I feel much better. My neighbour and I are on civil terms and I even took a parcel in for him.
The staff were really friendly and supportive and I am really pleased with the outcome of the meeting.
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
We would love to hear from you if you’re interested in finding out more about our ROC projects. Email us for more information on how to get involved.